2004 Dodge Durango 4.7l Clutch Fan Removal Tool

From Message XLTSPCL
Circumvent Dakota
Email

8/15/2001
10:17:28

Subject: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
What's the easiest most fuss free way of life of removing the clutch fan? I cognize this ain't going to increas HP a huge amount, but what rather numbers we looking for at, 2-5HP?


Thanx
2000 4.7L 5speed CC 4x4
3923s, RS Gen II 180 T-Stat, Flowmaster 3" Cat-back 50 Series Delta-flow
Jeffster
Dodge Dakota

8/16/2001
02:04:20

RE: 4.7 Clutch Winnow Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
I took a small 2" clamp and tucked it over the rim of the pulley and tightened it. The pulley them jam-packed itself against a bolt right above the pulley and stopped IT from spining when I lossened the fan seize assembly. Don't interest about finding a egg to set back over the pulley it's welded operating room ironed permanently to the water ticker shaft.


Does make a small dif. Idles very smoothly also.
XLTSPCL
Dodge Dakota
Email

8/16/2001
10:17:07

RE: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
So basiclly just jam up the block some how then take the large crackpot away the front? Coif you clamp perpendicular on the pulley? Did you take your serpentine belt off first? Is the nut counter threaded?


Thanx Jeff
Jeffster
Dodge Dakota

8/16/2001
20:29:36

RE: 4.7 Clasp Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
No I socialistic the belt along and yes the bolt was actually a threaded post. I assume you saw the one I am talk about Just slip the c clinch around the back flange of the pulley and tighten it. The Clutch fan was not tourqued along that tightly, it was in reality quite loose. I also wired a switch to my sports fan circuit so I can have it run contiuous if I privation. The PCM won't recount information technology to turn on untill the temps mystify to around 195-205*

XLTSPCL
Dodge Dakota
Email

8/17/2001
12:08:18

RE: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
Information science: Logged

Message:
Thanx Jeffster. I'll give it a try and put up my results after I'm done.

WhiteOn
Dodge Dakota
Email

8/17/2001
18:48:50

RE: 4.7 Grasp Winnow Remotion
Information processing: Logged

Subject matter:
I evenhanded remote clutch sports fan happening my '01 4.7. Took 30 seconds. I bu put across a vise grip on the pulley and a pipe wrench on the nut. The nut was not tight at all, and I meet turned the sports fan to spin it clear away. The worst part was putting away my drop lit. Testament report tomorrow on how the temp underestimate behaves.

WhiteOn
Dodge Dakota
Email

8/18/2001
12:18:36

RE: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
Okay, I took her out for an hour drive in the mountains through twisty roads and steep uphill interstate highway main road where more vehicles overheat. The temp gauge stayed right where it has always been. I don't see any change so far. This wednesday will be trueness exam since we are going connected a 4x4 trip. I will support the clutch pedal fan in the motortruck just in case I need to ray-install IT. Has anyone finished any low gear 4 wheeling with the clutch fan removed? If so how did the temp look and how did the galvanic fan perform?

Jeffster
Dodge Dakota

8/18/2001
20:05:02

Ra: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
White on did you experience your fan will spell itself on automaticaly at around 200* I countenance my truck idle on a hot day to see if the fan could keep up without using my auxillary switch. The blower produces real significat airflow and shouldn't be a problem. The temps may however run a bit higher than you want merely it North Korean won't transcend halfway happening your temporary gauge.

WhiteOn
Dodge Dakota
Email

8/18/2001
20:35:16

RE: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
Yes I did, and nowadays I did an idle test to see what the electric would do. It would turn on and run about 30 seconds. I could see the temp needle go down during this time, then information technology would change hit and not arrive on for few more minutes. I also took a short trip down to Mile-High City and worn-out some quality time in stop and go heavy weekend traffic. The temp ne'er reached the halfway mark. I'm becoming sure that this thing is going to bring on out fine. We'll see when the Palas is functioning strong at low speed while rock crawling. I don't really motive to keep the temp down excessively much since I'm not doing any racing, then mayhap information technology bequeath reckon perfect the way it is. Thanks for your comments Jeffster.

umStefa
Circumvent Dakota
Email

8/20/2001
09:09:38

RE: 4.7 Cling to Winnow Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
Anybody tried to wire in a temperature sensor and then that the fan kicks in earlier?

ken encinas
Dodge Dakota
Email

8/21/2001
18:13:54

RE: 4.7 Clutch Winnow Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
You can give birth the computer custom flashed to kick in at a lower temperature. I Dont know if the dealer will do it but KRC performance was telling Maine they fundament.

WhiteOn
Dodge Dakota
Email

8/22/2001
17:21:02

Re: 4.7 Prehend Fan Removal
Informatics: Logged

Content:
Backbone from a nice little 4x4 turn on adequate and around Loch Lomond Centennial State. This was a gravid examine for my temporary worker gauge after clutch fan removal, and I'm happy to write up that whol went well. The electric automobile kicked in and ran a bit, merely only about 1/3 of the tot up time spent rock-and-roll mounting. I like a sho feel cocksure with the removal of the fan and the ability of the physical phenomenon to keep things cool. I'm not planning some unusual changes in this surface area since the gauge didn't get quite to the intermediate mark and the truck ran great.

sandman
Dodge Dakota
Email

8/22/2001
17:33:19

RE: 4.7 Grip Fan Remotion
Information science: Logged

Message:
Your clutch fan is exclusive operation at speeds below 30 Miles per hour. I could fancy unhooking for drag raceing but what do you hope to realise in turned raod and daily driver roles. Those 2-5 hourses are non going to make or bracken you stop light to finish light raceing or increase your rock crawl power in any significant amount. Before clutch fans and turn blades you lost 10-15 horsepower.Are you are of how much shorter the life of you fluid could represent if temp increment just a bit flake? I also would not want to bet my engines longevity solely happening eletric fans. Just thought I would throw this in!!! P.S. This is a modernistic that could void warranty and has potential to have systemic damage to almost complete systems.

WhiteOn
Contrivance Dakota
Email

8/25/2001
01:44:00

RE: 4.7 Clasp Devotee Removal
IP: Logged

Subject matter:
I'm in truth not looking for any gains in H.P. since I am non in the drag racing mode, although my Dak seems to have a bit more punch. What I have gained is NO Resound from the fan. If I take a 195 degree stat and the galvanic kicks in at 200, what is the problem? The electric quickly cools, even under slow-moving rock creeping 4x4 activity. So what are all of the "systems" that are going to be tainted away these 5 degrees?

Waltherone
Dodge Dakota
Union Hera
Email

12/04/2002
19:30:18

Rhenium: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
Reviving an echt thread to save roughly bandwidth--I know the bolt is regular right hand over threaded, is that veneer the front of the truck operating theater rear tho? If I am ahead of the truck look it (where drivers face is happening my Correct) I turn the bolt counter right-handed?

Research laboratory Skunk
GenIII
EmailUser Profile

12/04/2002
21:05:13

RE: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Subject matter:
Yup. Give it a good whang with your right and presto! off it comes.


LR

Althea Gibson Dual Sport, AirForce One air intake, Jet II, Squirt TBS, 180 stat, IAT, TPS, no syrupy fan, Lakewood traction bars, "Wilson" antenna ball...when are we gonna see or s real parts??!!

FredDQC
Dodge Dakota
JOIN HERE
Email

12/04/2002
21:41:50

RE: 4.7 Clasp Fan Remotion
IP: Logged

Message:
I did remove the clutch bag fan but left the clutch in in case. I have seen pulleys fly off even with screws on them. It doesn't hurt and it is a good safety evaluate.I wasn't looking to gain anything but bound I'm glad I put on't get that Fighter Coal-black noise when taking off in the mornings. The only risk I see is if you electric fan fuse breakes, and then you will consume little time to stop and avoid overheating. It happened to me at one time. The temp gauge when the whole way up in a matter of seconds! not on my Dhak though! thanks God. It was my wife's minivan. For those few seconds, I had to replace the head gasket;Soh I always extend extra fuses and wires just just in case I had to connect IT direct to make up it to my finish.

Lab Scab
GenIII
EmailUser Profile

12/04/2002
22:01:12

RE: 4.7 Clutch Rooter Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
Fred,


It's connected a 4.7. It will not come off. It is the same water pump and fan assy. as the 3.7 in the KJ. The KJ comes from the manufacturing plant with No fan.

Comprende??

LR

Mel Gibson Dual Sport, AirForce Unity air intake, Super acid Two, Jet TBS, 180 stat, IAT, TPS, no viscous fan, Lakewood traction bars, "Wilson" antenna ball...when are we gonna see whatever real parts??!!

Waltherone
Dodge Dakota
JOIN Here
Email

12/04/2002
23:52:41

RE: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
Alright thanks! Now that the houston weather finally dropped ( a lot) I'll probly polish of that tomorrow morning--do you have to withdraw the shroud to get the lover out of there or can you pres it thru? Looks like it might be able to squeeze thru but I assume't want to bend fractional my radiator fins in the process..

Texas Todd
Dodge Dakota
Link up HERE

12/05/2002
08:24:28

Rhenium: 4.7 Batch Devotee Remotion
IP: Logged

Message:
Fred,


If yo uhave a 4.7, uh, well, what an *%%&adenosine monophosphate;^ for leaving the hold tight, Directly you still have that rotating mass. That pulley volition not get cancelled! Mine would have already.

Walt,

I live in the Sam Houston area. Mines been inactive two summers today. I do have a 180 tstat. With the a/c happening, your elec lover is along at ANY temp. Without the a/c on, it kicks on when the gauge is about 1/3 the way over. (I Don River't know where people get a temp for this unless they hook a seperate gauge up with temps on it. My 01 4.7, has no temps on the gauge). Anyway, in the overwinter, even stuck in traffic without the a/c on, IT never gets hot.
Waltherone
Dodge Dakota
JOIN Hera
Email

12/05/2002
10:54:17

RE: 4.7 Clutch Winnow Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
Nifty, Todd you ought to come over to

http://forums.delphiforums.com/dakotart some time

It's an R/T forum, but thither seems to personify a large population of Houston guys that all know each another, and few 4.7's (me and one other guy that I know of..)
Texas Todd
Dodge Dakota
JOIN Here
Email

12/05/2002
10:57:25

RE: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
Fron the above post, I likewise have the Trailer tow and H.D. engine serving radical, which I just found out apparently comes with a H.D. radiator.


01, 4.7, 5spd manual, HO cams, QC-slt,
None viscous fan/clutch, homebrew intake, ported TB (68stock), 180tstat, leer shell, etc.
kevster
Dodge Dakota
JOIN HERE
Email

12/08/2002
09:59:10

RE: 4.7 Hold tight Sports fan Removal
IP: Logged

Content:
Ok I read this forum connected clutch fan remotion, I just removed mine from my 02 quad cab 4x4 ,4.7, I will install a regular testicle from Lowes Hardware today, just for safety. I have a 180 T -stat also. I will see how the rooter off kit and caboodle, but I was just thinking.... Why not install a smaller blade fan on the clutch and just reinstall the fan assembly, the factory devotee is mature i have seen fans alot smaller, this sounds like a better way to move back..Whatch altogether think??

Texas Sweeney Todd
Dodge Dakota
JOIN HERE

12/08/2002
17:29:46

RE: 4.7 Clutch Rooter Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
Kevster,


Nadda,

It father't get much hotter than where I live, or the dealings much worse.(Sam Houston orbit)

1. It's Non a faith affair, the pulley will not just come polish off! YOU DON'T NEED None NUT

2. If you'Ra running the A/C, THE ELEC FAN IS Connected! Fifty-fifty at start-aweigh! Information technology's hard wired that way. It too comes on with a termostat setting, when the gauge is almost half way from the bottom.

3. If you want a smaller fan, than why bother? And if you'ray passing to slay IT, and I intend you experience, Put on'T make the error of leaving the clutches on the pulley.

I besides have the 180, none belt/clutch fan, two summers, towing my sailing boat, NO PROBLEMS
Lab Rat
GenIII
EmailUser Profile

12/08/2002
18:39:25

Ray: 4.7 Get hold of Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
I agree with Todd and I'll say it one Thomas More time-the same water pump and pulley are old on the KJ 3.7. It comes from the factory with no lover, no clutches, no more freak, No job.


I'm just northern of Todd in Big D which historically is hotter than Houston (the humidity in Samuel Housto keeps the ambient down) and I've had set problems.

LR
CW
GenIII
EmailUser Profile

12/08/2002
18:47:25

Ray: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
If you look close at the hub the nut will non prevent the pulley from slump even if the pressed on pully did go wrong.

4.7 HO, CW style
2001 4.7 5sp 3.92 LSD
Ported 68mm T.B., IAT adjuster, 3" flowmaster cat back, TPS @ .76V, 4" Z-tube-shaped structure, Roadmaster active suspention, Removed Third cat, Electric lover Convertion, HO cams, Robert shaw 180 therm, HO intake multiply.

kevster
Dodge Dakota
JOIN Hera
Email

12/08/2002
20:16:02

RE: 4.7 Clutch Winnow Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
Ok, I guess I will not worry, and just go for it, I am in Washington State and information technology doesnt get to het up here. What is the KJ 3.7? I dont know..

.alex.
Dodge Dakota
JOIN HERE
Email

12/08/2002
20:30:51

Rhenium: 4.7 Clench Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
The KJ is the new Jeep Shore leave wiht the 3.7 V-6 that doesn't accompany a clutch operated radiator rooter and as wel doesn't come up with a beshrew Bollock holding along the water pump pulley because it's pressed along at the water ticker manufacturing facility. Let's put off it liek this..... if the pulley comes off the front line of the water pump, you had much larger problems right before that anyway. Wish the whole water pump came unconnected operating theatre soemthing.


I've had nothing along the front of that pulley for about 25,000 miles so far...... pump stock-still pumps water and the motor runs cool like the child's play Hera in the Atlanta heat.
AC 2000 4.7L
Dodge Dakota
Junction HERE

7/10/2003
16:46:39

RE: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
IP: Logged

Substance:
Sorry to bring back an old train of thought but...


Todd, I have read your posts about running your 4.7 without the clutch winnow for the last 2 summers without some overheating problems. And I realize that a 180 t-stat should be installed at the same time, which I will do as soon as I toilet settle one. But, I also detected from your other posts that you have the HD cooling package that came with your tow package. I do non have the HD cooling parcel :( Have you had some feedback from folks with a formula cooling system?
Lab Betray
GenIII
EmailUser Profile

7/10/2003
16:55:10

RE: 4.7 Clutch Sports fan Removal
IP: Logged

Message:
Atomic number 102 HD cooling parcel along mine, well into moment Lone-Star State summer and No problems any. I know it's hard to consent taking your fan off, I was doubting it ab initio but the blower moves a tremendous amount of air.

TexasTodd
Hedge Dakota
JOIN HERE
Email

7/10/2003
17:04:57

Rhenium: 4.7 Clutch Fan Removal
Informatics: Logged

Message:
AC,


Dainty of the Lab Rat to give his testimony.

I've seen others office, that because of the uncertainty of the procedure, they kept their fan with them for awhile, grounds it threads plump for on i mere seconds, no tools required, arsenic the turn of the engine keeps information technology tight.

Good luck
Todd Bouton
01, QC, 4.7, 5spd, HO cams AND intake, homebrew cold air intake with air damn, zero smash hold/devotee, ported 68mm Tuberculosis, new 3923 plugs,
P 1 Next Page>>

2004 Dodge Durango 4.7l Clutch Fan Removal Tool

Source: http://www.dodgedakota.net/boards/gen/2098.html

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post